Saturday, August 15, 2009

We're Going Camping Now, We're on our Way....

Tuesday, August 11, We left for Itasca State Park. I was the guide in the backseat of Chris's CRV. Ahead of us, Katie's Element with her, Beth, and the hubs. A beautiful sunny day.


The men made the fire.

The gals cleaned up. As it should be.

At sunset, we saw Bigfoot near the shore.

We did a puzzle.

Katie and Beth found my camera and don't they regret it now.

I'm guessing there are some tax dollars involved in this lovely work of art.

We went to the headwaters.

And walked across the Mighty Mississippi.

We went on a hike. The longest 2 miles in the history of mankind. As you can see, we are experienced hikers. None of those fancy backpacks. Those are for city boys. We always opt for the Target paper bag. Much more eco friendly.

We hit the trail.

Oh, no. There was a tree across the path. Not to worry, Tim had his trusty Swiss Army knife. 3 days later, we were on our way.

A good mother always reminds her children to wear proper foot attire. As you can see, I forgot to remind Beth to go with the flip flops and instead she wore her hiking boots. This was a big mistake. After all, it's more important to look good than to feel good. I will try to do better next time.

Again, some grainy footage of Bigfoot. I think we're on to something.

The happy hikers.

Posing with the hubs.

My birthday fudge.

Singing the Happy Birthday song quietly (it was after 10:00 at the campground, so quiet hours had begun).

My birthday cherry cobbler, made over the fire in the Dutch Oven by the hubs.

I read a book at the dock. (The Magician's Nephew)

Chris and Tim fished, Beth looked on, and Katie, um, Katie took photos of herself.

Look what Beth caught. You should have seen the one that got away!

But all good things come to an end. Here is Chris packing his new card/picnic table. He just bought it. And, the cool thing is that a CRV came with it for FREE!

Finally, our trip would not have been complete had it not been for the metal moose in the trailer of the truck next to us at the Holiday Station in Little Falls. Can't wait for the next camping trip!

5 comments:

Nedra said...

Looks like you had a fun, family vacation!! And a belated birthday--we were traveling.

Crazy mom said...

Looks like you had a blast! Hey, my sister got a CRV with her card table too! Pretty cool :)

My very first memory is of walking across those very stones in Itasca. I was less than 5 years old, but it made enough of an impression on me for me to remember it. It looks the same as it did 38 years ago :) Imagine that.

Linda said...

I, too, have an early memory of walking across those rocks. I always wonder who put them there in the first place and if someone adds or "tweaks" them every year.

The dealer said that the newer card tables don't come with a CRV. :( When we bought our Accord we had it down to a CRV or an Accord. I thought the table in the back was so creative and cool.

prairierose said...

My other comment sounds like you had a belated birthday! haha! I meant to wish you a belated birthday from us as we were gone those days....anyway, I'd like some cherry cobbler, please!

Linda said...

Ha, ha. I knew what you meant. Where did you travel to? Feel free to travel here and Terry will make you some cherry cobbler. It's one of his specialties!