Monday, July 09, 2007

Pit Bulls and Airedales

Mr. D and I went out for our evening walk about 8:15. We stopped briefly and were having a nice chat with our neighbor Lee across the street. As we stood in the street near the curb, the door opened at the party house. The two pit bulls came bounding out unleashed at Mr. D and me. One jumped up on me! Imagine that, his pit bull paws on my legs!

Now, the thing is, I am allergic to dogs. I like them. I don't touch them or my eyeballs puff up. It's not pretty. So, I am standing in the street, partly freaked because I don't want my eyeballs to swell up, but mostly freaked because a pit bull is jumping up on me and I don't want to get him mad.

I tell party boy to get the dogs away from me. Mr. D tells him in no uncertain terms to get those dogs on a leash.

We walked our two miles and on the way up the hill, from across the street, an airedale puppy comes bounding at us. Now, I think airedales are cute, but they still make my eyes puff up if I touch them. So, I'm telling the owner to please call his dog, the owner is running across the street telling me he's just a puppy (well duh?). I guess he was trying to explain his frisky, out of control behavior (the dog's behavior, not the owner's).

Seriously, someone needs to tell dog owners to keep their dogs restrained.

Which reminds me of my cousin Dianne who raises prize winning sheep. She knows how to protect her sheep. She once took out a coyote in one shot while sitting on the riding lawn mower as her husband drove. A moving coyote, a moving vehicle, one shot. Way to go Dianne.

Some new neighbors with a Rottweiller and a Mastiff moved in across from her farm. She went over to meet them and they said, "Just give us a call if the dogs get out." To which she replied, "If your dogs get into my sheep pen, I will not be calling you. I will be getting my shotgun." That's how things work in the country, I guess.

A note to my favorite dog Molly. Please don't take this personally. You are my favorite dog in the world. I love how your little tail wags while you sit on the living room floor listening to conversations. Plus, you never jump up on me.

No comments: