Monday, December 22, 2008

Free Money

I just finished most of my Christmas shopping with free money, thanks to the GAP. Let me tell you how this works. First of all, to set the stage, a few years back we were doing some shopping at GAP and the purchases totaled enough that I decided to take advantage of the GAP credit card to get the 10% off that purchase. In addition, the card was good at Old Navy (where we do shop) and Banana Republic (where I shop and then return everything I buy when I get it home because it's just not me). Also, they told me that for every $1,000,000 (or something like that) I spend there I would get a $10 gift certificate.

A few weeks ago, Mr. D and I were shopping. They had some nice things at GAP and they had marked them down to some really nice prices which I can't tell you about because it's a secret. Normally I use the check card since it's more fun in January to not get a big Visa bill. But, for all GAP purchases I used GAP Visa (they changed the GAP card to a VISA card a while back, but I digress) because they were also giving an extra 10% off if you used your GAP card. We got some great deals and felt very shopping savvy.

Then, on Saturday (during the blizzard) we thought it would be smart to get out and go to the Mall of America. We had to get out anyway to pick up our Sam's Club Christmas cards which Mr. D ordered online on Thursday and were supposed to be ready at 1:15 that day, but when I got there the next day to pick them up they were not ready and the guy informed me that everyone (except, I guess, the Sam's Club computer) knows that at this time of year Sam's Club takes 48 hours for photo cards. But, I digress.

We were at the GAP and noted an item had been marked down $20 off the great deal price we had paid for it the previous week. I remembered that the GAP policy is to make a price adjustment with only the receipt if the price goes down within 2 weeks of your purchase. So, I opened my purse and began the arduous process of finding all my GAP receipts in the hopes of finding the one with the marked down item.

Keep in mind that I always get receipts for everything (I'm getting better about not getting them for a cup of coffee at Caribou that I've paid cash for, but, I digress). Also, I rarely take receipts out of my purse. So, I knew I had them. Sure enough, I found 3 or 4, took them to the guy at the counter with a couple of small purchases and asked him if he could check for any discounted prices.

Now, this is the amazing part. He cheerfully said, "Sure," then took my three receipts and scanned them. Amazingly enough, a credit of $28 appeared on the screen! It was enough to make my new purchases and still leave $8 on my GAP credit card without me doing a thing. The transaction didn't involve handing him my GAP card and waiting for some manager to come over and authorize the refund and me giving a blood sample. No, he scanned my receipt and immediately money was credited to my VISA. Just like that.

Then, I remembered that I had made some purchases at GAP kids and had one receipt at home (Terry had made that one). He doesn't keep his receipts in his wallet (like that Seinfeld episode), he files them at home, but I digress. I was unstoppable.

Yesterday, I took my GAP kids receipt to the store and asked them to scan it and magically another $24 appeared on my card. Then, I went to the regular GAP and handed them my receipt, they scanned it and another $20 was credited to me!

Money for nothing. I love it. We got $72, about 1/3, back.

Moral of the story: Keep your receipts. Shop at GAP.

The End.

3 comments:

Holly said...

Once I bought a coat at the Gap. I wore it for about 6 weeks. The lining shredded!! It was so weird. Anyway, I took it back to the store (basically a worn out coat). I just said that I wasn't sure if they could do anything, but that I had only worn the coat for about 6 weeks. They gave me my money back with an apology!! I was amazed. The Gap has consistently great customer service (and cute clothes to boot)! I took advantage of their fantastic sweater sale this year and their excellent internet business as well (that you can return to the STORE for free if it doesn't work out!)

Not to mention that online they have almost every size and length imaginable which is great for my freakish family that only has two members able to buy clothes in regular stores consistently!

Eddie Bauer also gave us 80 dollars off a coat we had bought FROM the CATALOG (we were in the store!!!) without us asking or anything.

Target could take a lesson from these two as they have the worst return policy.

Congrats on the free money...it pays to keep receipts; I do that too because I am constantly changing my mind (especially at TJMaxx, where I do most of my shopping.)

Yay! Money!!

Crazy mom said...

I LOVE Gap! Not only do they have a great return policy, they have awesome sales/clearance stuff! Makes me want to run out and shop right now :)

Eddie Bauer is great too. I agree with HOlly.

Barb

Linda said...

While I was at GAP, Mr. D was at Eddie Bauer doing the same thing, but he couldn't tell me because it was a secret.