Saturday, September 26, 2009

What I Bought at Trader Joes

The hubs let me loose for the afternoon and I went crazy.

Headed to Minnetonka to the General Store and roamed about looking at stuff. Heading home, I decided to proceed east on Highway 7. Hadn't done that for years. Went by the old Hellman's Mayonnaise plant that is now an empty building that's for sale. However, I did note that it had been called "Mayon Plastics" before it's demise. As I passed by, I thought I was most likely the only one on the road who knew that "Mayon" plastics probably got it's name because it was housed in a former mayonnaise factory. How's that for trivia?

Proceeding east on 7, I passed Prince of Peace Lutheran Church and remembered how I used to love the beautiful stained glass window there. Still there and still lovely. Then, just before Sam's Club, I remembered there was an old drive in that had been there for years--ever since I could remember. The kind from Happy Days. It's now called Galaxy Drive In.

Well, lo and behold, I looked and the place was hopping. Fresh coat of paint, workers in retro uniforms looking cheery, lots of patrons and it was late afternoon. 4:00 or so. Check it out here. I'm going back!

I proceeded east on 7 headed for Trader Joes. This of course is the mistake I often make when I head to Trader Joes coming from the West. After growing up in St. Louis Park and living within 10 miles of it all my life, I can't seem to remember that Trader Joes is on Excelsior, not Highway 7. (NOTE TO SELF: WHEN HEADING TO TRADER JOES OR WHOLE FOODS, TAKE EXCELSIOR, NOT 7. WHEN HEADING TO YUM, TAKE MINNETONKA. GENERAL RULE FOR SELF: NEVER TAKE 7.) So, I did the usual backtrack to get to 100 to head south to Excelsior. ANOTHER NOTE TO SELF: NEVER TRY TO HEAD SOUTH ON 100 FROM HIGHWAY 7. THEY FORGOT TO PUT IN A MERGE LANE.

I made it to Trader Joes and knew enough to park on the street rather than to attempt to enter the TJ parking lot. There I was, a lazy Saturday afternoon, nothing to do, and Trader Joes before me. They got me at the entry with the pumpkins. $3.99 each. Can't beat that. I loaded one in the shopping cart. Next it was on to the marcona almonds and mini fresh mozzarella balls (to make a Caprise Salad with the heirloom tomatoes my sister gave me a couple days ago). I couldn't resist the new pudding mixes. Chocolate and vanilla in the retro boxes. And while heading down the freezer section to get my favorite frozen Mac and Cheese, I stumbled upon the Mandarin Orange Chicken. Picked up two bags of it for tonight's dinner. Of course, cookies are above the frozen foods at Trader Joes, so I grabbed the classic chocolate Joe-Joes. I finished off my shopping spree with a crate of lovely peaches and a bottle of Mango Green Tea. I love Trader Joes.

No comments: