Monday, January 15, 2007

Linda Scissorhands

When you break your wrist and it needs to be put back in place it is called a "reduction". They block the nerve to the arm and give an extra dose of pain killer into the break. Then they bring in the device seen in the photo. They put a "chinese handcuff-like" thing on each finger, hook it to the device, and hang weights from your arm. Within minutes the bone is moved up or down enough to pop that sucker over and back in place, put on a cast, and send you on your merry way with a weekend's supply of Vicodin.

Of course, when I saw what they were doing and how ridiculous it was, I asked Terry to take a photo for my blog. The nurse heard me and went running to get a polaroid (good thing since my camera was not in my bag). He took two shots. In the first I don't look so puffy and my eyes are open, but Terry's dark shirt makes this the better photo as it offsets the finger contraption nicely. So, I will set vanity aside in the interest of educating you, my dear blog reader.

6 comments:

Jeremy said...

Hey LS, can you carve ice sculptures with that device?

Scott said...

That looks like a torture device. I've never seen anything like it!

Scott said...

It's actually Holly not Scott... something's messed up!

Holly said...

New blogger problems?

Holly said...

Hey that is funny... my old login is the new login Scott picked for new blogger. We must really think alike... sorry about all the weird comments...

prairierose said...

Mrs. Frankinstein, oops, Linda, you look charming with those long fingernails.