Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Therapy

I went to the doctor yesterday for my 4 week check-up after the removal of the splint. (Friday will mark the 6 week after surgery, 7 week after fracture anniversary).

The good news is that the titanium plate and 10 screws, and bottled bone graft didn't move and did the job in holding together all broken parts. They have healed just fine and I can lift up to 50 pounds (if I had the strength in that wrist to do that, right now I can barely lift a glass of water.) The bad news is that I'm not really moving my wrist like I should be so I need to get my range of motion back before I lose it forever.

So, I am scheduled for 6 weeks of hand therapy, twice a week, starting tomorrow.

My first thought was, "This sounds great, hand therapy, how soothing."

I had visions of soaking my wrist in warm soothing whirlpools, massages with soothing oils that smelled of fragrant perfumes that would have been fit for Queen Esther, followed by massages with soothing lotions, and then a manicure. (You should see the nails on my left hand, they have never been so long!)

I received the "order" for hand therapy from the doctor followed by the question, "Do you have enough Percocet? You will probably be needing to take it in the evening following therapy."

I said I had 25 left and she wrote me out a prescription for 30 more!

I am thinking that this means soothing might not be the word to use to describe physical therapy and I probably won't be getting a manicure there either.

No comments: