Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Henri Nouwen Quote

I keep seeing pithy quotes from this Henri Nouwen fellow.

Anyone know more about the guy than Wiki has to offer, or why he would say this in a book he wrote, or why Christian blogs I read are quoting him? Am I missing something?

"Today I personally believe that while Jesus came to open the door to God's house, all human beings can walk through that door, whether they know about Jesus or not. Today I see it as my call to help every person claim his or her own way to God."

—From Sabbatical Journey, Henri Nouwen's last book
page 51, 1998 Hardcover Edition

2 comments:

Holly said...

Whoa. That's crazy. Is there anything that context can add? Is he trying to say even if they don't know Jesus NOW?

I feel the same way about Richard Foster whome everyone seems to love. He wrote a lesser known book called Money, Sex and Power in which he states some pretty bad stuff about his fantasy life and Jesus being a part of them. I showed it to my Campus Crusade mentor who wasn't the least bit bothered. We have to remember that these people are not writing inspired words here!!!!

prairierose said...

Philip Yancey writes about Nouwen in his book--can't remember the title, but it's about grace.