Saturday, December 22, 2007

Awkward, but funny

After a busy day, Terry and I were setting the table for dinner and there was a knock on the front door. I had just gotten off the phone with my sister-in-law Diane who mentioned that her husband Steve was stopping by to drop off some packages. So, when the knock came, I assumed it was Steve and headed for the door yelling, "Come in!"

As I got to the door, I noted that it was unlocked so I yelled again, "Come in, it's even unlocked!"

No one came in, so I opened the door to find our former neighbors, Paul and Sheilah, standing there with the annual Christmas cake! I laughed, welcomed them in, and we got all caught up on the year.They moved a couple miles away in 1993, but every year since 1984 when we moved in, they have delivered a pineapple upside down cake in the shape of a Christmas tree that we faithfully have for breakfast on Christmas morning. Moving away didn't stop them and we always look forward to seeing them. I love traditions like that and faithful friends.

I explained that I was expecting my brother-in-law and we laughed about my yelling, "Come in," before I knew who it was (really kind of a dumb thing now that I think of it). A few minutes later, Steve did arrive. He knocked and was greeted by Sheilah who looked at him and said, "Where have you been?" Without missing a beat, Steve said, "I've brought these for you," and handed her the bags of gifts, which she readily took.

I guess you had to be there, but it was pretty funny and we can't wait to eat our Christmas cake.

No comments: