Tuesday, December 18, 2007

The Mansion

Back in the day when Chris was still in high school, his literature class at Heritage Academy (aka homeschool) was A Beka American Literature. We read many great plays, poems, and stories, but the one I always remember was written by a Princeton educated author and Presbyterian clergyman named Henry van Dyke.

Henry van Dyke wrote dozens of short stories and I have only read a few. When we
were in Chicago for Julia's wedding in 2001, I remember going into an antique store in St. Charles that had volumes of old van Dyke short stories. They were $25 each and at the time I thought that was way too much, especially since there were many volumes in the set. But, I digress.

I like short stories for two reasons. They are short. And, they are stories. Can't beat that.

The Other Wise Man, is a great story by van Dyke and is tied for my favorite with this one.

The Mansion.

So, if you have time for a short story this Christmas, might I recommend The Mansion.

No comments: