Monday, May 05, 2008

Poetry Monday

Tim's A Beka literature book has come to the rescue for today's poem. There Is No Frigate Like a Book. Tim tells me that he thinks a book would make a lousy frigate. Books are too small and, besides, when the pages get soggy they will sink. (He got the literal genes from me and the sarcastic genes from his father.)

There Is No Frigate Like a Book
by Emily Dickinson

There is no frigate like a book

To take us lands away,
Nor any coursers like a page
Of prancing poetry.
This traverse may the poorest take
Without oppress of toll;
How frugal is the chariot
That bears a human soul!

2 comments:

pjpfau said...

I really don't like it when my kids use that word "frigate".... it just sounds a little too much like a bad word. I try to encourage them to use the word "darn" instead.

I'm surprised Emily Dickinson used that word herself.

Jeanne

Linda said...

Ha-ha!