Thursday, July 10, 2008

I'm Stealing Again

I have stolen another quote.

This time I stole it from the Dragonfrye blog.

Here it is.

"The humblest and the most unseen activity in the world can be the true worship of God. Work and worship literally become one. Man's chief end is to glorify God and to enjoy him forever; and man carries out that function when he does what God sent him into the world to do. Work well done rises like a hymn of praise to God. This means that the doctor on his rounds, the scientist in his laboratory, the teacher in his classroom, the musician at his music, the artist at his canvas, the shop assistant at his counter, the typist at her typewriter, the housewife in her kitchen -- all who are doing the work of the world as it should be done are joining in a great act of worship." William Barclay

4 comments:

A mom of many said...

Linda,I found the quote on someone elses blog as well!Those good quotes just get passed around.I am looking through your blog trying to figure out if I have ever met you.I must have.I saw the GCM letter on your side bar and have to say I never new it existed and I was involved in Mn GCM from 86-05.Very interesting to read it.Your flag cake looked great.Tina Frye

Linda said...

Hi Tina, I don't remember meeting you, but a whole bunch of people I know, know you, so I'm sure our paths must have crossed at some time. We were there from 1995-2005. I link you through Barb J. I love linking on the blogs of friends and then checking out their links. I enjoy your blog. Your quilts are lovely.

terryd said...

Great quote. Here's another in the same vein:
“It is not only prayer that gives God glory but work. Smiting on an anvil, sawing a beam, whitewashing a wall, driving horses, sweeping, scouring, everything gives God some glory if, being in his grace, you do it as your duty. To go to communion worthily gives God great glory, but a man with a dungfork in his hand, a woman with a sloppail, give him glory too. He is so great that all things give him glory if you mean they should.”
–Gerard Manley Hopkins

Linda said...

There nothing more gratifying than walking out with my sloppail and looking over and seeing you with your dungfork in hand.