Monday, October 09, 2006

Random Thoughts

1. The full moon was lovely Saturday night.

2. We watched Ground Hog Day on Friday night. We really like that movie and enjoyed laughing.

3. Sitting on a bale of hay (straw?) and watching a fire in the backyard (not just in the backyard, but in the fireplace dealie in the backyard!) is a nice thing.

4. Speaking of bales of hay, Terry and I decided to pick up a couple of them at Cal's, along with some cornstalks, and pumpkins (from Cub). We made an "display" with them by the front door and added some mums in baskets that I had picked up a couple weeks earlier. It is lovely. We never decorate for "Fall" so when Chris stopped by for a while last night, he walked in and said, "What's with the display outside? Have you decided to start taking senior photos?"

5. I wanted the Twins to win, but am sort of glad that it is over. One less thing to stress about!

6. We went to Grace yesterday. The messages are always good and right now, I appreciate the mega-churchiness quality...I need to just blend in and think about God for a while. Plus, Beth has friends there and it's familiar since we have been there a lot. And, it always smells like waffles because they have a restaurant (and a cash machine!) I wish we weren't in the position of church shopping. Should have asked more questions at the start at the last one when red flags came up rather than always "giving a pass," but that's water under the bridge so I am just believing God has us church shopping for a reason.

7. We have been to 4 different churches in the last year. Two messages have been coming through loud and clear to me in the sermons and in my personal reading. They are 1) we are not saved to get the "benefits" that come with salvation, we are saved to give glory to God and 2) it's the power of God that makes a difference, not the wisdom of man. (This has me rethinking the seeker church...anyone read David Wells' book on that? Very interesting and I have to say I agree...back to the power of God, not the wisdom of man lesson I'm learning).

8. I hope Diane, Mindy, or Jeremy blogs about Dr. Dolittle and the squirrel.

6 comments:

The Colonel said...

I started reading Wells' book yesterday and the first thing that popped out to me was in the introduction. It said something to the effect of "as 9/11 hit the light shone on the church of America yet they were too busy worrying about the arts and their marketing schemes and they lacked any depth or seriousness"

ouch... i look forward to going through this book

the funny thing is that in his book he almost says the same thing that driscoll did in his message just from more of an intellectual point of view as opposed to a cultural

Linda said...

Good point, Ben.

terryd said...

I'm about 20% through the Wells book, and so far I'm blown away. I assumed it would be a little tough going (for me anyway), but so far it's a page-turner. I think that's because he is so organized and clear. He tells you where he's headed and then takes you there——leaving hints along the way as to how he will apply his analysis; to the way evangelicals think, and the way we ought to think. Also, a little skipping ahead always helps on serious books like this.

Nikki said...

Mom, today I bought a bale of hay, some mums and some Indian corn (can you call it that anymore?), and along with the pumpkins we already had, I set up a display in front. It is lovely. Except I would advise you that when transporting a bale of hay, it is perhaps not the best idea to have them put it in the back seat of your Honda Accord. I spent some time with the vacuum today.

Linda said...

Nikki,

I can't wait to see it!

Amd, taking your idea, we had a chili supper last night!

Love you,
Mommy

Diane Dahlen said...

Yeah - I should be the one to do that since I was the witness, altho Jeremy or Mindy would probably do a much funnier job of it.