Sunday, October 01, 2006

The Party

I spent the weekend partying with the Piper. Wow, what a party it was.

It will require a few blog posts and a few weeks of processing.

Off the top of my head, here are a few phrases to sum up what I learned. God loves His Son. The Son Loves His Father. The glory of God is a big deal. The cross is a big deal. I'm a little deal. God doesn't need me, but God loves me. Doctrine matters. Truth matters. Anything that points me to the supremacy of God is a good thing. Anything that points me to man is a bad thing. Anything that exalts God is a good thing. Anything that exalts man is a bad thing.

Here are the books I bought at the bookstore:

Knowing Scripture by R. C. Sproul
Authority by D. Martyn Lloyd-Jones ("The Doctor")
The Ever-Loving Truth by Voddie Baucham, Jr.
What Jesus Demands from the World by John Piper

and I will enjoy reading the freebie in the swag bag...Above All Earthly Powers by David F. Wells.

I liked Mark Driscoll. I really liked the 9 items in his left hand! I will blog about them sometime.

I think the highlight of the party was hearing John Piper say the word "smartass" in reference to what Tony Jones said on his blog. (In case the link doesn't work Tony said, "But my neighbor in Minneapolis, John Piper, has invited folks to his conference next month with the words, "We think the post-propositional, post-dogmatic, post-authoritative 'conversation' is post-relevant and post-saving." I assume this is a jab directly at Emergent/emerging." Then he goes on to say, "What I find the most disheartening, I guess, is the smartass tone of the line.")

Finally, I liked the Fish and Chips at Brit's Pub.

It was a great party!

1 comment:

Rae Whitlock said...

I only wish I were able to buy that little from the conference bookstore. I think I ended up dropping almost $200.