Sunday, April 22, 2007

All she wants to do is have some fun

The White House Press Association Dinner was last night.

I watched part of it on CSPAN.

The first thing I noticed was that "the press" is a really rude bunch.

When I tuned in, Association president Steve Scully was doing introductions. Several times as he spoke he had to say, "May I have your attention, please?" It made no difference, they just kept talking.

As students came up to claim their scholarships, the press kept chatting. It was like there was an audience of 2nd graders, with the difference being that 2nd graders would have given the speaker their attention when asked.

Keeping in mind that Steve Scully asked that politics be set aside for one night as he said, "An adversary is not the same thing as an enemy and an evening of civility does not mean we are selling out," I just read about Laurie David and Sheryl Crow.

Apparently, the two "ladies" took it upon themselves to approach Table 92 where Karl Rove was seated.

The Washington Post reports what then happened in this manner:

"I am floored by what I just experienced with Karl Rove," David reports. "I went over to him and said, 'I urge you to take a new look at global warming.' He went zero to 100 with me. . . . I've never had anyone be so rude."

Rove's version: "She came over to insult me and she succeeded."

Things got so hot that Crow stepped in to defuse the situation and then got into it with Rove herself. "You work for me," she told the presidential adviser, according to singed bystanders. "No," was his response. "I work for the American people."

News of the dust-up filtered quickly through the room. Some witnesses said David was very aggressive with Rove; a shaken Crow later said that Rove was "combative and unresponsive."

Mr. D commented on Crow's way with words when I read him the article. She said Rove was "combative" and "unresponsive". Well, which one is it Sheryl? Combative OR unresponsive?

Oh, and next time you go to a fancy schmancy dinner and the MC asks you to set aside politics for the evening, why don't you just stay away from Table 92. Or, weren't you listening?

No comments: