Thursday, May 03, 2007

No idling in the carpool lane, and one sheet of TP, please.

Sheryl Crow's good friend, Laurie David, who also happens to be the producer of Al Gore's Oscar winning movie "An Inconvenient Truth", said in an interview with The Rocky Mountain News that she wanted Al Gore to adopt her, he's such a great guy.

When asked what changes she had made in her own life to stop global warming, she replied:

"I don't believe everyone has to do everything. I don't do everything. It's about everyone doing something. I have changed as many lightbulbs as I could to (higher efficiency) bulbs. I started a new idling rule at the school carpool lane (cars dropping and picking up kids can't idle their engines more than 30 seconds). I bring a garment bag to the dry cleaners (instead of having the dry cleaners wrap her clothes in petroleum-based plastic). I drive a hybrid."

I love these Hollywood people. They do their little part to stop global climate change by starting a new "idling rule" in the carpool lane. How LA is that? It's an "inconvenient truth" for kids to have to take a bus to school. And, changing the lightbulbs isn't going to help a lot as Laurie jets about the world telling the rest of us who aren't jetting around the world what we should do.

I, for one, am glad Al Gore is not my dad. Although, I remember hearing from his daughter that he makes good toast.

2 comments:

Danny Wright said...

Great blog,

Hey I did a global warming consensus style scientific evaluation and discovered that if Laurie changed "some" light bulbs-for the sake of this calculation, I assumed she changed 800 60W light bulbs-and she stopped breathing today, it would take roughly 346 years for those light bulbs to eliminate the foot print of her existence providing that she had done nothing but breath since her birth.

Holly said...

Why does she need to buy clothes that have to be dry cleaned anyway? Especially on a regular basis. Why doesn't she wear all organic cotton or hemp or recycled fibers. Goodness knows she can afford it.

Yes, to help the environment we don't have to do EVERYTHING. But I think that she could probably do a lot more than she does!

After I read your first entry about Sheryl Crow, I went to read Sheryl Crow's blog and on their she mentions how Laurie loves to drink a particular French wine often. Hmmm.... now how did that French wine get to the US? Unless we've perfected the Star Trek art of beaming things, my guess is that is is imported. Wonder what the carbon footprint is from that? I am guessing it didn't get here by glider or by rowboat or any non-fuel using means. Yet another example of how celebrities don't always think it through.

My inlaws are not wealthy people. They don't recycle (which I think IS bad) and they drive a minivan. But merely by being frugal they are so much gentler on the environment than most people, I would say. They only buy what they need. They buy quality and use it forever. They don't use lawn chemicals or many chemicals at all for that matter. They turn their thermostat down in the winter and up in the summer. And every week their trashcan is barely even halfway full.

The best thing any of us could do for the environment is to STOP consuming so much. Stop consuming power and fuel. Stop consuming food with lots of packaging. Stop consuming so much through shopping, etc.

So rich celebrities who sit around telling us how to help the environment are a little unrealistic if they think that consuming imported goods, travelling often by chartered or personal jets, or buying many products is consistent with an eco-friendly lifestyle.

I would love to save the environment, but old fashioned conservation is going to get us farther than anything else.