Friday, May 18, 2007

Tinky Winky

Everyone has their Tinky Winky moment. You know, when you say something stupid that takes on a life of it's own and becomes your legacy. For me it was the time on a road trip that I told one of my children who was thirsty to, "Swallow your spit." Taken out of context, it sounds terrible, well, come to think of it, in context, it sounds terrible, as well, but I digress.

Jerry Falwell and Tinky Winky comes to mind as another example of this.

Mr. Winky said in an interview with Salon.com that it was a traumatizing experience.

"It was traumatizing, really," says Winky, who now owns a holistic healing center and makes occasional appearances on British TV. "I'm a very private Teletubby. I just wanted to get away, go over the hills and far away. But when you're 7 feet tall and purple with an antenna on your head and a TV screen in your belly, where are you going to go?"

Po declined to comment.

Winky then went on to say that Falwell was divisive (must have been listening to Matt Lauer who had taken in Anderson Cooper the night before).

But, let's face it, Teletubbies were creepy, so Falwell didn't get it all wrong.

I thought Douglas Wilson had nicer words to say about Falwell.

1 comment:

Danny Wright said...

I always thought that Falwell actually hit the bull's eye here. Considering that some were suggesting that there were four genders: male female homosexual bisexual. If you look at the antennas it certainly seems plausible that they represented all these sexes, don't you think?