Thursday, April 20, 2006

No Little People

No Little People is a collection of sermons by Francis Schaeffer. Here's a passage from the title sermon:

"Every Christian without exception is called to the place where Jesus stood. To the extent that we are called to leadership, we are called to ministry, even costly ministry. The greater the leadership, the greater is to be the ministry. The word minister is not a title of power, but a designation of servanthood. There is to be no Christian guru. We must reject this constantly and carefully. A minister, a man who is a leader in the church of God (and never more needed than in a day like ours when the battle is so great), must make plain to the men, women, boys and girls who come to places of leadership that instead of lording their authority over others and allowing it to become an ego trip, they are to serve in humility.

Again, Jesus said, "But be not ye called Rabbi; for one is your Master, even Christ, and all ye are brethren: (Matt. 23:8). This does not mean there is to be no order in the church. It does mean that the basic relationship between Christians is not that of elder and people, or pastor and people, but that of brothers and sisters in Christ. This denotes that there is one Father in the family and that his offspring are equal. There are different jobs to be done, different offices to be filled, but we as Christians are equal before one master. We are not to seek a great title; we are to have the places together as brethren.

When Jesus said, "He that is greatest among you shall be your servant" (Matt. 23;11), He was not speaking in hyperbole or uttering a romantic idiom. Jesus Christ is the realist of all realists, and when He says this to us, He is telling us something specific we ought to do.

Our attitude toward all men should be that of equality because we are common creatures. We are of one blood and kind. As I look across all the world, I must see every man as a fellow-creature, and I must be careful to have a sense of equality on the basis of this common status. We must be careful in our thinking, not to try stand in the place of God to other men."

So, run right out and buy No Little People and read the rest of the sermon! Or, you can borrow my copy!

3 comments:

pjpfau said...

Ooooo that's good!!!

Tipler said...

Hi Linda! I've really missed you Dugans. To be selfish what I really miss is jamming with Terry. Anyway your separation from ECC did shock me and the only reason I never asked is I figured it was none of my business. Interesting read from FS.
It reminds of years ago when talking to my mother-in-law about her faith and the high regard she placed on the priests and the saints to 'intercede' for her as though she was less worthy to approach the throne of God. A little bit different context but same subject on how to view leadership.
Anyway, I'm praying for you Dugans as you find a new church home. If I don't see you guys in real life, I'll watch the blogs! ;-)
God bless!

Linda said...

Hey, Mike. I just saw this comment. Thanks for reading my blog! I love the whole blog thing...it's so neat to learn what people are thinking and share thoughts. The song you did at the memorial service was beautiful, by the way.