Monday, April 10, 2006

PK and the Yes Lady

As some of you know, my least favorite part of any "Christian" concert in town is when the KTIS announcers come out and tell us how blessed we are going to be and then tell us we are not at a concert, but at a worship service. Excuse me, but I didn't just pay $50+ a ticket to worship at the X-cel, I paid it to hear a Michael W. Smith concert!

So, with that in mind, I have to tell you I am starting to like PK! She is quite witty, I must say!

On Saturday night, Terry, my mom, sister, and I went to hear the Brooklyn Tabernacle singers at Grace Church. PK, of course, did the introduction. This concert was sponsored in part by Grace, so the pastor of music and worship at Grace was to give a welcome. His name is Brian Vaughan.

Unfortunately, he was still being wired for sound when PK introduced him. She said, "Please, welcome Brian Vaughan," and turns to wait for him to come onstage. Nothing. After an awkward silence, she picked up on the Vaughan part and flashbacked to The Sound of Music and with a sweeping hand gesture said, "Ladies and gentlemen, the Family Von Trapp...the Von Trapp family." It was pretty funny.

The second funny (to me, at least) thing was the "Yes" lady behind me. Starting probably with the second song the BT sang, she began loudly yelling "Yes, yes, yes" about every 3 seconds through EVERY song. I couldn't look at my mom for fear we would both get the giggles, but the icing on the cake was when Jim Cymbala was speaking and she was "yessing" everything he said. And I mean everything.

This was the best part:

Cymbala (paraphrasing): We came into this world naked.
Lady behind me: YES!
Cymbala: And, we will leave naked.
Lady behind me: YES, YES!

By the way, the BT was great.

7 comments:

Cox said...

That sounds much better than when I did security for the KTIS New Years concert, featuring the music of Diana Pierce and Geoff Moore(but no Distance).

Nikki said...

Why in the world would that concert need security?

Chris Dugan said...

why do you think Nikki? That's a concert that combines the bottled-up angst of young Gen-X pre-teen homeschoolers with the well known impassioned agression of Kare 11 news fans. It's a veritable battleground!

Cox said...

Nope, Nikki's right. There was absolutely no need for security. It's not like there were screaming girls trying to get into Geoff Moores dressing room...

Diane Dahlen said...

I know what you mean about PK. I actually started enjoying her myself last weekend as she MC'd the Legacy Women's Conference. She was witty, real, humble (for the most part) and shared her own very unbelievable story. I'll tell you about it sometime

Diane Dahlen said...

And by the way, you can check my blog! I finally posted one!

Sean Dietrich said...

I love Jim Cymbala! His books and sermons are incredible. What a passion for God! I visited Brooklyn Tabernacle and was blown away by his humility and down-to-earthness.
I also love Keith Greens's music, I am a huge fan. Are you familiar with him?

I am a musician and I would be honored if you would check out my music. All music on my site is free for downlad. Anyway, just thought that I'd share.

Thanks,
-Sean
________________
www.SeanDietrich.com
"All music on my site is free for download."