Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Why We Left

We left Evergreen in August.

Three Evergreen families (the ones in our small group) knew why. Oddly, since then, only one other Evergreen family has asked us why. So, we have been operating under the assumption that no one really wanted to know why.

But tonight, after reading yet another article by a Great Commission leader on "loyalty" (see Rick Whitney's latest offering at www.gcnwdads.com) and how those who leave the glorious Great Commission band of brothers are disloyal somehow to God, I cannot remain silent.

This was a sad time for us. Especially since we do tend to be loyal people. We have many good Christian friends who still attend Great Commission churches. Many of them are pastors and leaders.

We left Evergreen, ultimately, because we were asked to leave by one of the founding pastors. There, I said it. I'll elaborate on "why" he asked us to leave in another post sometime.

Suffice it to say for now, we believe in "loyalty" and "commitment" to God alone. And, to his body, his bride, the Church.

Have a nice day.

6 comments:

Linda said...

Wow, Linda, what were you thinking.

Jacob Bird said...

I've talked to Chris a couple times about your leaving. I can't say that I disagree with your reasons.

The article (This one, right?) was disapointing. I got the feeling that loyalty to the local GCM church is the best thing a christian can do.

Thank you for sharing.

Linda said...

Sorry I didn't link it. I still get confused on linking. But the one you mentioned was one of the early "troubling" ones. I think I have now linked the one I was referring to.

Thanks for your nice comments.

The Colonel said...

Hey Linda, like Jake I've talked to Chris pretty in depth on your reasons, though the "being asked to leave part is news to me" I'd be interested to hear that story.

Either way, like I've mentioned to Chris, I'm glad our relationships go beyond being part of a local esatblishment.

p.s. I think it's pretty cool that you and Terry blog

Linda said...

Thanks Ben. I have posted "the rest of the story" for you.

Diane Dahlen said...

I'm actually glad you guys left Evergreen because we've been able to get together with you for a book study every week. Of course, our church involvement has also decreased for different reasons, so it's been possible on our end as well. I'm glad that Christianity is all about our relationship to Christ and His Word - not about what church thinks its got all the answers. God must be shaking his head much of the time.