Wednesday, August 30, 2006

U-2 and the Red Herring

There's a chill in the air and Dairy Princesses are being carved in butter. That can only mean one thing...the Fall semester of Fallacy Academy will soon be back in session.

A quick review of our previous lessons:

1) The Red Herring--Introducing something irrelevant into an argument.

2) Ad Hominem--Attacking the opponent's character or motives (slandering the opponent) instead of addressing the substance of the argument.

3) Tu Quoque--An irrelevant accusation of hypocrisy.

Now it's your turn to vote on the next fallacy. Will it be:

1) Straw Man
2)Loaded Question
3)Either-Or
4)Circular Reasoning
5)Faulty Appeal to Authority

Please choose the next fallacy and remember to vote early and often.

3 comments:

Mike said...

I think that #5 looks interesting, but am looking forward to them all.

Tipler said...

I've always been a fan of circular reasoning. I don't do it very well myself but I have witnessed some very good practitioners of it in the past.

Cox said...

Let's try loaded questions, because that's something you hear thrown around but never actually lives up to it's label in my experience.