Monday, March 12, 2007

Original Theologians Tend to be Heretics!

It is no secret that in the last few months, we have been devouring the teaching of John Piper. I think the thing that impresses me the most is that his messages are so full of the cross and devoid of John Piper. He leads people to the cross, not to human authority.

John's father passed away last week. If you need inspiration and encouragement go read the entries on the Desiring God blog that speak of the life of his father.

Here is an excerpt from the funeral message Piper preached:

"This fact has two effects on me. One is to make me thankful for the sovereignty of God. He governs all the influences over my life. Paul said in 1 Corinthians 15:10, “By the grace of God I am what I am.” I am glad that neither I nor any other human governs my life. God does. My days are in his hands. And I am glad.

The other effect this truth has on me is to send me back to my father’s preaching to uncover more deeply my roots. I have seven of my father’s books here. The more that I read them, the more I marvel at how unoriginal I am. And this makes me very happy. Original theologians tend be heretics. I want what I say to have roots. I don’t want to be new in what I believe. I want to be true."


No comments: