Thursday, June 21, 2007

Anniversary Week Continues...More on the Hat



Here's the cake. I think it was marble. I forgot how big it was.

This shot is a great one because it offers you the opportunity to see the back of my hat. About two weeks before the wedding I realized that I had to come up with a head covering option. I also liked hats. So, I found myself at the clearance table at Dayton's (which later became Marshall Fields and is now Macy's, but I still call it Dayton's) where I found a white hat with a big fake red rose attached. It was $7.

I brought it home and pulled off the rose. Then I went to Northwestern Fabrics and bought a bunch of tulle. (If you've ever planned a wedding, you know what a lifesaver tulle can be. Cheap and communicates the "essence of wedding".) Anyhoo, I grabbed several feet of the stuff, tied it around the brim of the hat and made a huge bow. The rest is history that is documented in this photo.

The reception was catered by the "Church Ladies". Church ladies are great. They made lovely little finger sandwiches (the cool spiral and checkerboard kind) and had a very artsy cornucopia made from a watermelon that spilled out fresh fruit. They had silver candelabra and real plates, silverware, and punch glasses. They made everything, set it up and served it. My dad had to pay the bill for the food and punch (I think it was under $400) for 250 people and I think there was a $1 or $2 per plate donation to the women's missionary fund also. The ladies all served for free in exchange for the donation.

3 comments:

pjpfau said...

And you claim you're not crafty!

Holly said...

I forgot to mention that my parents also were married on the same day and the same year! Well, actually my step dad and my mom... I was 18 months old at the time!

My mom wore a pink dress and a pink hat just like yours... without the bow though.

Anyway, I need to ask them what time, maybe they got married at exactly the same time you guys did!

Linda said...

Cool!

Happy 30th Anniversary to them!

Also, now I don't feel so bad about the hat. I'm thinking we must have been pretty trendy in our fancy hats!