Thursday, June 14, 2007

Feed Me

I was sorry to hear that Ruth Graham died today.

I was sickened to hear that she starved to death.

The Houston Chronicle reports:

"In recent weeks, she had asked that a stomach tube used to provide her with food and fluids be removed, Ross said Thursday.

When the tube accidentally fell out earlier this week, she again renewed that request. It was reinserted, but after consulting with family and her longtime physician, the Grahams decided to stop giving her nutrients.

"In consensus with her family and others who have observed her levels of deterioration, and in consultation with her physician, she has not received foods or fluid for several days," Ross said."

I think the Grahams have set a really rotten example. Anyone who doesn't receive food or fluids for several days will die.

I know that removing the feeding tube is the way things go now, so I would like to go on record as saying that I would like to be fed. Also, if I, at any time say I don't want to be fed, I want that request ignored.

It is truly a frightening thing to me that many Christians have come to believe that food and water constitute "medical treatment". To withhold food from someone at their request is assisted suicide. To decide to withhold food and water from someone who cannot decide is homicide.

Sadly, I know of several cases where this has happened against family members wishes. For all of you who have lost a family member this way, I am truly sorry.




4 comments:

Holly said...

Linda, I completely agree with you. She ASKED for it, and they denied it. So wrong.

Obviously, since Noah has a feeding tube, I am definitely against removing feeding tubes.

I didn't realize that is how she died. How sad.

Holly said...

Well, now I am sort of rethinking it. Sadly, she probably had a nasogastric tube which would be really uncomfortable. Noah's tube is in his tummy, and is a little more comfortable.

I don't know, but it's sad either way.

I always really liked her and her family.

pjpfau said...

I promise to feed you and give you water.

Period.

Jeanne

Linda said...

Thanks Jeanne.

Love you.