Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Big Brother Is Watching You

Since I awoke at 3:30 am this morning and found myself glued to God-TV watching Todd Bentley get recognized as an apostle by a bunch of other recognized apostles (apparently, there are a bunch of people who get the apostle tap on the back and then are anointed to recognize each other in the official capacity of apostle...I hear there are currently 500 official apostles worldwide, and it was certainly interesting if not horrifying to watch Todd convulse uncontrollably on the floor as others spoke "words from the Lord" over him and eventually presented him with the official ring identifying him as a bona fide apostle,but I digress), I was a little tired around 2:00 this afternoon so turned on Fox News and had a lie down.

About 10 minutes into my little lie down, Tim informed me that the city assessor was at the door. There he stood, clipboard in hand with some type of a photo name tag hanging from his neck. He wanted in. I was cautious and said, "Don't you usually send out a letter informing us you are coming?" He said he had. I said we didn't get one. He wanted in.

I decided, reluctantly while half asleep, to let him in. As he moved from room to room, I said, "Just so I know, what are my rights, did I have to let you in?" Not only did he say I had to let him in, he said that if we didn't, he had the right to go to the police and they would gain entry for him.

I said, "If I don't let you in, the police will break down the door?" He hesitated and said they had the right to get the police to let them in, but if we refused, they would just guess our value and we could not appeal their guess.

As he left, I reiterated that we did not receive notification. He then said, "I noticed that the last time all three neighbors on this side of the street didn't let us in. When you got the notification, did you get together and talk about the appraisal?" Like we were in cahoots to not let the appraiser in when in reality we were not at home when he came unannounced 5 years ago and I would imagine the same was true for the neighbors.

HELLO, does this bother anyone?

3 comments:

Nate Carlson said...

Wow, that's just silly. I wouldn't have let him in -- without prior notification, that's a crime waiting to happen!

Nice of him to accuse you too.. what is this, conspiracy to not get your house appraised?!

Linda said...

I would like to think that I wouldn't have let him in had my son not been home with me, but it was very intimidating. Plus, you don't want to give anything away by saying, "Could you please come back another day when my husband is here?" Plus, he's the guy assigning the value of your home on which you will be taxed, so you kind of don't want to get him mad at you!

Holly said...

You know, I always forget that I have the right NOT to let people in! It always REALLY bothers me when the meter reader comes in our locked gate and comes in the back door without me letting him in!

I have asked him to at least shut the gate because I have small children and an autistic son! He was a little miffed, but he actually has left the gate open anyway!

I think that it's a good idea to deny access to anyone who has not sent a letter in advance and who does not have any identification. I am going to do that from now on!