Sunday, June 29, 2008

Just a Thought

I just read this article by John Piper.

For starters, I am not a gun person. Guns scare me. They are dangerous weapons. And I don't hunt, I saw Bambi. However, I disagree with Mr. Piper's reasoning. I don't think he thought this through very well.

First of all, I respect his right not to defend himself if ever attacked and sacrifice his life with the thought that anyone who might attack him probably isn't a Christian and his killing them to defend himself would doom them to an eternity in hell. A very noble thought.

However, what Mr. P seems to also be saying here is that he would willingly sacrifice his wife's life, or his child's life, or his friend's life for the sake of the Gospel. Someone comes to attack his wife and he won't protect his wife because the attacker might not be saved. Surely he has not thought this through.

Also, what about Mr. Piper's unsaved friends? What if a would-be attacker points a gun at one of them. Then, how does he choose? Two unsaved people are at risk of dying. Isn't the just thing to defend innocent life?

If you want to use your economic stimulus rebate to buy a gun to protect your family or hunt Bambi, it's okay with me. You can also buy a couch, take a vacation, give it to charity, repair your car, save it (although that misses the point of trying to get more money in the economy so it might cost you later in yet higher taxes), or squander it at the Dairy Queen (although money spent at the DQ can hardly be called squandering), it's okay with me. It's your money, for Pete's sake.

The Dugans are going with the car repair option!

Here's a PS to my post.

I really like the Pipster. Mostly, I agree with him and find his teaching deep and helpful. One of the most helpful articles of his was this one. If you know us and our church history over the last few years, you will know why.

Here's the money quote from that article that was entitled "Talking to People Rather than About Them.
I don’t mean you can’t criticize President Bush without calling him on the phone first. And I don’t mean you can’t discuss my sermon, both negatively and positively, without coming to me. Public figures put themselves on the line and understand that everyone will have an opinion about what they say. That’s okay.
It is not always slander and disunity to disagree with a spiritual leader. Sometimes, it's the right thing to do.

No comments: