Wednesday, September 27, 2006

The Bottom Line

Tomorrow is our second day of Co-op. It should be lots of fun. We do, after all, have Dazzling Dave, coming to enlighten us all on the science and art of the yo-yo. But, there will be a twinge of sadness in the air when I think about the families who have decided not to be a part of MCHC this year because they prefer not to associate with Terry or me. We really will miss them.

That is a first for us. I can't think of anyone in the world, over the 29 years we have been married who has made the choice to actively no longer be a part of our lives. The fact that two of the families are GCM pastor's families is especially sad and troubling. One of these pastors made the decision without speaking a word to Terry. Titus 3:10 misinterpreted is a very bad thing.

My nephew Jon, who has spent the last 20 or so years working with cults and other highly authoritarian groups tells me that shunning like this is an emotional form of control...and, I know it is. Who wants to live with the idea that there are people who you thought were your friends who no longer want to be a part of your lives?

I believe the families who left are deceived. I don't hate them. I feel really sorry for them and think they have made a big mistake. Not because they prefer not to associate with us, but because they have given up some of their critical thinking skills (like being unwilling to check out both sides of issues under the assumption given them by the men over them that to hear the other side is to listen to gossip or slander). So, in a way, I pity them.

I have decided to add a link. It's the GCM Statement of Error.

I am doing this not to be obnoxious or divisive, but in the hopes that some members of GCM churches and some in leadership will read it and realize that the things Terry mentioned in his blog are pretty much the things they addressed in their statement of error, but seem to have forgotten they apologized for OR perhaps, they never really meant the apology. In either case, they are currently doing a lot of those things. And, it would benefit them greatly if they dealt with the issues rather than dealing with the people mentioning the issues.

I would call their attention to Roman Numeral I--A PRIDEFUL ATTITUDE. And the subcategories under it of "Improper Response to Criticism" and "An Elitist Attitude" since the charge of pride seemed to be the most offensive part of Terry's post. And, the improper response to criticism is playing out loud and clear in the Co-op shun.

So, where am I at right now?

The bottom line for me is that I love God, I love my family, and I love my friends. And, that's a wonderful place to be.

And, to the families who left Co-op...you are always welcome back.

No comments: