Friday, September 01, 2006

Just When You Thought it was Safe to go Back in the Water...

Several days ago, I posted what I thought had the possibility of being my last post on Evergreen and why we left, what I think about "leadership", "Biblical authority", and commitment. A great peace had settled over me (at long last, so I hoped!) and my eyes were finally able to start focusing more on the great God we serve. But, this week it was brought back into our life in an ugly way by the father of lies.

Terry has been asked by an Evergreen pastor to remove the post he wrote in mid-June explaining what came behind our decision to leave Evergreen. A sermon has been preached about how blogs like this are not of Christ. A friend who is a pastor's wife has called begging me to ask Terry to remove the blog. My heart is sick.

So, what should I/we do? Only God has that answer.

Intimidation is not a reason to remove the blog post.
Someone saying it is divisive is not a reason to remove the blog post. After all, the Truth can and often does divide.
If all the ECC pastor's would tell us to remove it, that wouldn't be a reason since over a year ago we resigned our membership from ECC, thus pulling ourselves out from their authority.
And, on the other hand, all the counselors, friends, former GCM church members in the world telling us to keep it posted is not a reason to keep it posted.

Like I say, my heart is sick. Our motives have been called into question both to our faces and to others. And, how do you judge your motives? Proverbs says, "He who trusts himself is a fool, but he who walks in wisdom is kept safe." And, James says, "If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him."

So, we are asking God.

I will end this post by re-posting part of an earlier post several months ago where I pondered my motives about this whole thing. It was written about a reference in an article on the web page of a GCM leader who was referring to the sense of betrayal when people leave. Here's what I wrote:

Now, of course, the bigger question for me is why do I care so much? Why do I still go to the web sites and read the articles?

I think it has to do with all the dear people who we have since heard of that have one by one, kindly, thoughtfully, and prayerfully gone to the leadership with their concerns and have been turned away who are now being viewed as traitors. Godly people who are being compared to Judas as they seek to put God first. (The article I mentioned in the previous post says, "We have lost a few and yes, it hurts and yes, there have been challenges. All movements of God have lost men. Even our Lord lost a few.")

And as I read things like this written by GCAC leaders, I just get kind of sick:

"If someone is going to “cross over” in their heart and join us, the steps are still the same. In our local church, in our region, in our movement.

Something isn't right. And, I can't figure it out. That phrase "cross over in their hearts and join us," is not of God.

What I can say is that God is in the business of seeking and saving the lost. God is in the business of changing lives. If your life has been turned around, it is not because you went to Evergreen, or Bethlehem, or Grace...it's because of God.

Give God the glory. Give God your lifelong commitment. Give God all the thanks, and praise and your unending loyalty and obedience. He is the only one who deserves it.

Finally, if you want to question our motives, call us divisive and destructive, warn others about our blog, cut off all ties with us...I can't stop you. I would, however, ask someone, sometime to address the substance of what Terry posted. Is it TRUE?

And, on a personal note, I would like to thank Nikki, Chris, and Katie, for not telling us about the e-mail on Monday when we met up at the Fair because you didn't want to ruin our family day at the Fair. Don't I have great kids?

I love my family.

2 comments:

The Colonel said...

After I heard about this I went and reread Terry's post. As far as I've heard the two complaints against it are the two words I've pulled the dictionary definition from below.

Divisive - forming or expressing division or distribution.

Slander - a malicious, false, and defamatory statement or report

His whole post consisted of;
A) stating fact with sources
B) quoting others
C) Sharing opinion and personal experience (and it was well stated where that was)

He also qualified all of this with an apology for those that misunderstood his intentions with the post and an invitation to respond however they like.

Nothing divisive or slanderous about that.

I feel bad about the reactions of some people towards Terry's post and what it is putting you guys through.

I am glad to know that none of this has or will separate the friendship I have with your family.

I'm looking forward to the Party with Piper.

Linda said...

Thank you, Ben.