Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Mars Hill, Schmars Hill

Mark D. (Driscoll) writes on his blog:


"More than ever, I really love Mars Hill. There is no desire in me to do anything but what I'm doing with the people I'm doing it with. I often tell my people that I am giving them my life and intend to preach my own funeral and then climb into my coffin and shut the lid to go see Jesus. The work is hard, we are stretched beyond our limits right now, and I'm actually home sick with the flu after some really long work days lately along with the other elders and deacons. But, deep down I'm really happy. I have seen my kids born in Mars Hill, seen the lives of everyone in my family changed by Mars Hill, and seen myself been transformed by my brothers and sisters in Mars Hill. Not to denigrate any other church, but this is a special place and I'm honored and humbled to be here. And I'm having a lot of fun."

I think I know what he means...but, I think this statement wasn't thought out very well. Or, if it was...it's bad!

And, since it's my blog and I can get picky, I will tell you why I think it's bad. I think it's dangerous to type statements like "seen the lives of everyone in my family changed BY Mars Hill". God changes lives. Give God the glory. End of rant on that point.

So, dear readers, if I ever say that, please catch me and correct me.

Also, the phrase "this is a special place" is walking on a land mine. Every cult says that. Watch out, Mark D.!

So, am I going to boycott the Party with Piper and Mark D. event this weekend?

No, way, I'm not that closed minded, plus, I paid $100!

Let's party!

4 comments:

Cox said...

Oooh, you smudged our golden calf! How dare you?!?!

Nah, good point. Especially because one of the things that has drawn me to the teachings at Mars Hill is that Mark is adamant and consitant with every sermon being about Jesus. It all has to come back to Jesus or it's worthless. So I would think he's just sick, and not at his sharpest. But only time will tell.

The Colonel said...

i think too it can be unfair to pull one paragraph and pin that as his stance on things. When you listen to everything else he says about his church it's always prefaced with how God's created Mars Hill and how Jesus is working in the people of Seattle and how God is using Mars Hill to change people...

mars hill is changing people equals God is changing people through mars hill So i'd have to agree with Aaron's thought that he's just sick and didn't clarify.

He is afterall our pony boy that can not be wrong...

terryd said...

We'll give him a warning ticket and let him go this time, but keep the stub on file.

We'll see how he does at the conference. I'm really looking forward to the whole thing.

Chris Dugan said...

Driscoll definitely displays a self-righteous attitude at times—which is great when's he's fighting the pomos.

It gets a bit tiring though when he's talking about his church and his own accomplishments.