Tuesday, May 23, 2006

IKEA for the homeless...


I am trying to master the art of adding a photo to a post. I don't know why there is more than one image, but that's okay because I am excited about what you are looking at.

Be amazed.

Terry and I were at IKEA last Friday and came across this product. We had never seen it before, but it is a wardrobe...made out of corrugated, plastic coated, opaque, cardboard, with a muslin curtain instead of a door.

(Who knows, maybe there's even a magical kingdom in the back...IKEA is great at getting a lot of stuff contained in small spaces, you know.)

I believe it sold for $39. And, as we walked through the store, we noted a bedside table that matched.

We think it is really nice of IKEA to create a line of furniture for the homeless. They are so good with making small spaces liveable, while also being functional and fashionable.

We thought this line of products would fit well under bridge abutments, in sewers, alleys, wherever...

8 comments:

The Colonel said...

i have an issue with IKEA and I don't know why but the few times I've been there I've just been annoyed though I can see why many people like it, so I'll have to say I'm the odd man out on this one.

Though i'm not against people buying me stuff from IKEA

Linda said...

Do you ever feel like you just need to find the door and GET OUT OF THERE...I used to, but now I know the short-cut to the door. And, the cinnamon rolls sold by the check-out lanes are delicious!

Nikki said...

I like IKEA. I just don't like going there on a busy Saturday. I get a little panicky!

The Colonel said...

ahh, yes the "where is the door" feeling, I have had that feeling every time i've been there and I've tried going when it was busy, when it was slow, and also i was there once when it was just moderately busy.

I'm not cut out for Swedish shopping

Jeremy said...

One time at IKEA I tried to find the exit - for like 40 minutes... I followed all of the red exit signs which led me throughout the entire store, twice, before leading me past the cinnamon rolls and Swedish Fish to the fresh air outside.

Lexi the Pixie said...

IKEA.....I think I'll just send away for the catalog.

If I decide to make a larger purchase I will stop in to make sure of the quality But only if I HAVE to. I was at IKEA just last month with my mom.
I decided that if hell is our worst nightmare over and over, (if I were going to hell) then mine would be like IKEA with no cinnamon rolls, or swedish fish, with lots of spiders, and other creepy crawly things. I really did feel lost in there.
My advice if you DO venture into IKEA:

#1. Do NOT go hungry. In the craziness if your blood sugar drops too much you are likly to loose your mind.
if I hadn't finally found those cinnamon rolls I would have thrown one of those yellow polo& Khaki wearing employees through one of the displays.

#2. Wear walking shoes. I wore kitten heeled flips-flops once and got blisters.

#3. Don't expect to be able to find someone who works there when you need help!

On another subject Mama Dugan;
I have a Michael W. Smith Live concert ( 20 YR. Celebration) DVD that I got for easter last year, that I would like to have Chris give to you for me, if you'd like it. It's not opened. I am more of an SCC fan then a "Smitty" fan. Let me know!

Linda said...

Lexi...you are so funny...

I would love the DVD.

Lexi the Pixie said...

Maybe I'll just bring it to Katie's grad party, n the 10th!
See ya soon!