Monday, May 01, 2006

Setting Captives Free, Making Burdens Light

At the homeschool convention last weekend, Diana Waring spoke to the Co-op leaders. One of her main points was that God is in the business of setting captives free and making burdens light and if you are feeling bound up and loaded with burdens perhaps you need to rethink what you are doing. I think that advice is good for everyone.

Some verses:

Galatians 5:1
For freedom Christ has set us free; stand firm therefore, and do not submit again to a yoke of slavery.

Isaiah 61:1-3
1 The Spirit of the Lord God is upon me, because the Lord has anointed me to bring good news to the poor;he has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and the opening of the prison to those who are bound; 2 to proclaim the year of the Lord's favor, and the day of vengeance of our God; to comfort all who mourn; 3 to grant to those who mourn in Zion--to give them a beautiful headdress instead of ashes, the oil of gladness instead of mourning, the garment of praise instead of a faint spirit; that they may be called oaks of righteousness, the planting of the Lord, that he may be glorified.

Matthew 11:28
28 Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

1 comment:

Diane Dahlen said...

What a great reminder that God is our burden bearer. We're not built to carry huge loads. I love those passages - some of my favorites. Thanks.

Diane