Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Run, Don't Walk If....

I was reading an online devotional tonight and came across one suggesting that Christians in the good old USA have a consumer mindset and "church shop". This was said as a criticism and the following quote is from the article as it suggests different things people look for and will leave a church over if they don't get what they want.

Here are the questions the author criticizes Christians for asking:




"Do these people love me and appreciate me? Is there a quality Sunday School program? Do we like the music? Is there a strong youth ministry? Is the pastor funny? Is the preaching sound? Do I feel like I am loved in this church?" The questions go on and on and there is a kind of built-in, self-centered attitude in every one of them: "I want things from the church. I want those things according to my own personal or family's schedule. Why should I, or anyone, question what I want."




I would like to go on record as saying that SOUND PREACHING matters and should not be on the same list as "Is the pastor funny?" And, if the preaching isn't sound....RUN, DON'T WALK!

Titus 1:9 says:

9 He must hold firm to the trustworthy word as taught, so that he may be able to give instruction in SOUND DOCTRINE and also to rebuke those who contradict it.

No comments: