Monday, July 31, 2006

Don't BALK at that!

I love going to Twins games.

I love Dome Dogs.

And, I always get a Malt Cup.

I love sitting in row 3 of the Home Run Porch, right by the left field foul post on Friday nights when you get a Dome Dog with your ticket. (Saturday's Papa John's pizza night is also good, but then I don't get my Dome Dog).

We settled for row 15 of section 215--The Family Section--yesterday.

I love it when the Twins win, but even if they don't, it's worth the price of a ticket to get sucked out of the Metrodome.

Yesterday, Beth, Katie, niece Mindy, and I went. Mindy's friend even loaned Mindy her Twins "outfit". That reminds me that I have got to get me a Twins "outfit"...but not a baseball cap...after 50 you should not wear a baseball cap...just a nice little tasteful, retro T-shirt.

Chris and Ben were a section over and a few rows up...okay, they were in the top row, I think, because the Home Run Porch was sold out! Big game.

And, the Twins rallied in the 8th and came up with 6 runs! It was very exciting and one run, was the result of a balk! I googled and learned that Liriano had slipped on the mound on July 2nd and was charged with a balk, but the only balk I had ever seen (on TV) was committed (I think by Frank, "Sweet Music" Viola) in the 1987 playoffs! Before that, I had never heard of it.

So, what is a balk? Hmmmm, here's a quote from "Fast Facts" on the baseball almanac web page:

The balk rule, baseball's least understood, has been in the rule book since the nineteenth century and Major League umpire Ron Luciano once said of it, "I never called a balk in my life. I didn't understand the rule."

So, here's what I have gleaned about a balk, which, by the way, can only happen with runners on base. If no runners are on base it is called a ball.

There are two legal pitching positions...the windup and the set.

Ptichers can take signs from the catcher while on the rubber and can disengage the rubber after the sign, but can't quickly step on and pitch. They have to come to a full and complete stop after the set position, before they pitch.

It says,"Pitchers are constantly attempting to "beat the rule" in their efforts to hold runners on bases and in cases where the pitcher fails to make a complete "stop" called for in the rules, the umpire should immediately call a "Balk."

I think, maybe that's what happened yesterday.

However, there are other ways to balk and if you want to know all about them, just go here:

http://www.answerbag.com/q_view.php/1309

3 comments:

Chris Dugan said...

As I understand it, Bonderman (the Tiger pitcher) motioned for the catcher to re-do the signs BEFORE he stepped off the pitching rubber. It was a pretty obvious blunder and I think he knew it despite the little tantrum he threw.

Linda said...

That's the problem with sitting in row 15 of section 215 and not watching it on TV! You miss a lot and there is no replay or commentary.

But, if you watch it on TV you don't get a Dome Dog!

Mindy said...

I enjoyed the Dome Dog, the Malt Cup, the company, the eight inning, my outfit, and most of all, getting mentioned on Linda's blog. I must be moving up in the world. :)