Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Grits, Grits, Hominy Grits!http://www.blogger.com/img/gl.link.gif

How should I know "how many grits"?

Quick, where does that line come from?

As you are pondering the answer, I will offer part two of the "Ad Hominem" argument. So, welcome back to Fallacy Academy. I hope you had a great 4th of July holiday "school" break!

Remember, from our previous lesson, that the "ad hominem" argument is the "attack the messenger" argument. It's a good one to use when the "red herring" distraction argument has failed! And, used in combo with the "red herring" it can be very effective.

I thought of a two more examples of the ad hominem that people have used on me and I have fallen for almost every time.

1. "Anonymous" person argument. This would be when someone offers an anonymous view of something. The ad hominem attack would be, "What he says is not to be listened to because he remained anonymous." Now, you may argue that the anonymous person isn't a brave person, but you can't say that his view is wrong necessarily because he is anonymous. You are attacking the messenger in this case...he is anonymous, therefore, he is not to be believed.

2. "Do you know his/her character?" argument. This is another type of "ad hominem" argument. Questioning the point being made because the person making it is of unknown character. Someone will offer information...say me...on this blog...right now. And, a critic will say, you can't believe "Hip-hop Co-op" lady because you don't know her. Do you know what kind of person she is? Is she quick tempered? A gossip?

The astute student at Fallacy Adacemy will see right away that this is an "ad hominem" argument (questioning the character of the person) and also it is a "red herring" (distracting someone from the point at hand to the character of the person making the point).

This reminds me of Balaam's Talking Donkey. Yes, take heart, God can even speak through donkeys! It doesn't matter who is saying something. What matters is whether or not what they are saying it true.

Here's the story:

Numbers 22:22-35
22 But God's anger was kindled because he went, and the angel of the Lord took his stand in the way as his adversary. Now he was riding on the donkey, and his two servants were with him. 23 And the donkey saw the angel of the Lord standing in the road, with a drawn sword in his hand. And the donkey turned aside out of the road and went into the field. And Balaam struck the donkey, to turn her into the road. 24 Then the angel of the Lord stood in a narrow path between the vineyards, with a wall on either side. 25 And when the donkey saw the angel of the Lord, she pushed against the wall and pressed Balaam's foot against the wall. So he struck her again. 26 Then the angel of the Lord went ahead and stood in a narrow place, where there was no way to turn either to the right or to the left. 27 When the donkey saw the angel of the Lord, she lay down under Balaam. And Balaam's anger was kindled, and he struck the donkey with his staff. 28 Then the Lord opened the mouth of the donkey, and she said to Balaam, What have I done to you, that you have struck me these three times? 29 And Balaam said to the donkey, Because you have made a fool of me. I wish I had a sword in my hand, for then I would kill you. 30 And the donkey said to Balaam, Am I not your donkey, on which you have ridden all your life long to this day? Is it my habit to treat you this way? And he said, No. 31 Then the Lord opened the eyes of Balaam, and he saw the angel of the Lord standing in the way, with his drawn sword in his hand. And he bowed down and fell on his face. 32 And the angel of the Lord said to him, Why have you struck your donkey these three times? Behold, I have come out to oppose you because your way is perverse before me. 33 The donkey saw me and turned aside before me these three times. If she had not turned aside from me, surely just now I would have killed you and let her live. 34 Then Balaam said to the angel of the Lord, I have sinned, for I did not know that you stood in the road against me. Now therefore, if it is evil in your sight, I will turn back. 35 And the angel of the Lord said to Balaam, Go with the men, but speak only the word that I tell you. So Balaam went on with the princes of Balak.

5 comments:

The Colonel said...

I agree that the "do you know their character?" question can really be BS at times.

I may not know the day in/dayout character of someone like say Mark Driscoll of Mars Hill Church but everything I've read and heard from him has been right on the mark (no pun intended) scripturely. So just because I don't personally know him doesn't mean I should discount what he says (though some would prefer I did)

Also, on the anonymous arguement, I agree that it shouldn't be discounted, but if I believe if you're taking a stand on a subject you should be man (or woman) enough to stand behind it.

Good thoughts Mrs. D, and again thanks for hosting us last weekend.

Linda said...

The anonymous thing is a tough one. I have only been anonymous once in my life (it was a poem I wrote and sent to my dentist when I was 12 about how much I hated the dentist...poor guy!).

But, as a parent, I do have some sympathy for the "anonymous" person and wonder if sometimes people are anonymous not because they are cowards, but because they feel strongly that something needs to be said, but are trying to protect relationships. Sometimes I think life would have been easier for my children (and to be honest me!)this past year if we could have been anonymous about what we believed!

The Colonel said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
The Colonel said...

just because it's easier doesn't mean it's necessarily better. Too often we don't ask the tough questions or make bold statements because it is easier to not ruffle feathers but looking to the scriptures it seems that Jesus acted quite the opposite. He was the one saying things that no doubt severed relationships, stirred people, and didn't make things easier for a lot of people.

From what I've experienced it is better to be up front and honest (at tasteful times of course) and if honesty is what severs the relationship it begs me to ask how strong that relationship truly was.

I tend to be a little more confrontational than most ( to a fault at times) but I also feel confident in where my relationships stand. If I decided to attend a different church or make a drastic decision that affected those around me I know for the most part (with a few surprises I'm sure) where those relationships would stand when the dust settled.

To me there is nothing like a community of people that you know will stick by you and not totally betray you no matter what happens.

Typing this makes me want to do a post on "Community, fellowship, & relationships"... check my blog soon for that ;o)

Also, that dentist poem thing is pretty funny.

Linda said...

I appreciate your thoughts, Ben. They remind me of the verse:

Faithful are the wounds of a friend. But the kisses of an enemy are deceitful. Proverbs 27:6

Sometimes the faithful and loving thing to do is to say the hard thing...and not anonymously! Speaking the truth in love.

Oh, and I love getting my teeth cleaned now! So, Dr. Nelson, I apologize for the poem!