Tuesday, April 29, 2008

It's Always Something...

This is the end of April which means taxes. I suppose for you it doesn't mean taxes, but for me it means sending in the payroll taxes for Dugan Design Group which are due the last day of the month following the last day of the quarter. There is the state withholding, the MN Unemployment, and the Federal withholding (taxes, FICA, and Medicare, plus the employer match).

This is a relatively simple process. Believe it or not, the State of MN has a real slick way of filing and paying online. The Federal is a little more complicated, but not much.

All I do is open up the payroll, go to "reports", and get the detailed quarterly payroll report. That's it. Simple as can be. EXCEPT WHEN YOU GO TO THE REPORTS AND FIND THAT THE DETAILED PAYROLL INFORMATION FROM JANUARY AND FEBRUARY ARE NOWHERE TO BE FOUND. Every other payroll report is there going back to the late 90's, but, no, the 4 pay periods in January and February are missing. Vanished. Gone.

They were posted over to the bookkeeping program because the totals all match up and have been subtracted from the checking account balance, but the details of the payroll are missing. Fortunately, I had hard copies, and since we only have 3 employees I was able to recreate it from the printouts. Just took an extra hour or so and it means that at the end of the year I will have to hand calculate the first quarter payroll for the w-2's. I was glad I decided to do this a day early. It kind of makes me wonder just how accurate computer programs are, but I really don't want to think about that.

Thank you for letting me vent. Oh, yeah, right, this is my blog, I can say whatever I want!

Have a nice day.

And, it just goes to show, it's always something.

No comments: