Monday, April 14, 2008

Stealing Again

I've done it again. Stolen a quote from a blog. Thanks, Barb J!

“There is nothing – no circumstance, no trouble, no testing – that can ever touch me until, first of all, it has gone past God and past Christ right through to me. If it has come that far, it has come with a great purpose, which I may not understand at the moment. But as I refuse to become panicky, as I lift up my eyes to Him and accept it as coming from the throne of God for some great purpose of blessing to my own heart, no sorrow will ever disturb me, no trial will ever disarm me, no circumstance will cause me to fret – for I shall rest in the joy of what my Lord is!”
-Alan Redpath

3 comments:

Diane Dahlen said...

Holy cow. Wish I could say that. I wonder if this guy has really been in the furnace. Since he has written something so profound, my guess is that he has - and has come to such great faith - hence the bold declaration. Frankly it's kind of scary to me to think that the pain we sometimes experience has passed the test of a loving God. In theory I can accept that. In experience - not yet. Someday I hope to be able to say "yeah and amen" to Mr. Redpath.

Linda said...

It sort of reminds me of that verse in Luke 22.

“Simon, Simon, behold, Satan demanded to have you,that he might sift you like wheat, but I have prayed for you that your faith may not fail. And when you have turned again, strengthen your brothers.”

I googled the guy. He was a preacher born in England who preached at Moody in Chicago. He had a near fatal stroke that he recovered from, but suffered from bouts of depression afterwards.

I liked it because it communicated to me that God is always in control, and always working for us, in all circumstances...good or bad.

I prefer good.

Crazy mom said...

Wow, Linda, you actually googled the guy! I'm impressed. I just found the quote somewhere many years ago and it so resonated with me that I wrote it down. It has been such a blessing to me during some of my hardest times. I am glad to see you passing it along.

Barb