Monday, April 14, 2008

Poetry Monday

In 1999 Garrison Keillor read this poem on the radio (Writer's Almanac). Terry heard it, enjoyed it, and bought the book that it was in. The Penguin Book of Nonsense Verse. Enjoy!

Strange Meeting

by John Yeoman

Dear Madam,

I'm sure you'll be happy to know
I'll be at the station at three.
But since we last met such a long time ago
You may well not guess which is me.

And so, to ensure that I'm easy to spot,
I'll dress in a pale lilac suit
And carry an elegant plant in a pot
(Or, if not, a basket of fruit).

Your eye will be caught by my red satin cape
Which flashes like flame in the light;
My cane will be wreathed in a length of black crepe.
I think you should know me all right.

And yet, just in case this is not quite enough
To give you the help that you need,
I'll put on my sword and my white pleated ruff,
And hold a small pig on a lead.

My Chinese attendants should give you a clue,
If still there's a doubt when we meet:
The face of the taller is painted bright blue;
The smaller has gloves on his feet.

The smoke from my ears isn't easy to miss;
My aftershave's Essence of Goat.
And, as for yourself, can you please tell me this:
Do you still glue balloons to your coat?

1 comment:

prairierose said...

Loved it!