Wednesday, September 03, 2008

I Couldn't Sleep Last Night

Last night, I couldn't get to sleep. (Anyone know if Red Zinger tea has caffeine? Even if it doesn't, I don't believe I will sip any at 10:00 anymore). Anywho, I had the TV on in our bedroom and made a big mistake. I watched CNN and MSNBC. Their reporters must all be graduates of the National Enquirer School of Journalism. No, maybe not, the National Enquirer gets more facts right.

This whole thing makes me really mad. So, here are my "talking points".

1. Sarah Palin is not a hypocrite. She is pro-life and has acted on that in ways most pro-life people never have to. She has personally given birth to a special needs child AND she has an unmarried teenage daughter faced with an unplanned pregnancy. Two difficult situations. Two pro-life choices. She can never be accused of not understanding what it is like to have a special needs child or a pregnant teenage daughter. She's walked the walk.

2. What does Sarah Palin's husband's 20 year old DUI have to do with anything? She wasn't driving drunk. Plus, Teddy Kennedy himself had a little driving trouble a few years back and he got elected.

3. From what I can piece together, Sarah Palin's father was threatened by her State Trooper brother-in-law and her nephew was tazered and Sarah recommended that he be fired. What is the story? If a law enforcement officer without cause threatened my dad, I would recommend he be fired and arrested.

4. About the Sally Quinn editorial and others like it. Pardon me, but I think your hypocrisy is showing. Here are some choice Sally Quinn quotes:
McCain claims he knew about the pregnancy, and was not at all concerned. Why not? Not only do we have a woman with five children, including an infant with special needs, but a woman whose 17-year-old child will need her even more in the coming months. Not to mention the grandchild. This would inevitably be an enormous distraction for a new vice president (or president) in a time of global turmoil. Not only in terms of her job, but from a media standpoint as well.

Evangelical women also will have to decide if they will vote against their conscience by voting to put the mother of young children in a job outside the home that will demand so much of her time and energy.

Is she prepared for the all-consuming nature of the job? She is the mother of five children, one of them a four-month-old with Down Syndrome. Her first priority has to be her children. When the phone rings at three in the morning and one of her children is really sick what choice will she make?




Enough of my "talking points". Now, the vocabulary lesson. Here are the words of the week.

vetted-A verb meaning to examine something or someone. In the case of a Republican this is done by a team of attorneys and reporters hired by the news media to dig up as much dirt and rumors as they can find about a candidate's husband and children and present it to the public as facts. In the case of Democrats, this is done by the National Enquirer and left unreported by CNN and MSNBC.

red meat-This was the buzz phrase last night on CNN, FOX, and MSNBC. Reporters kept saying it. I just thought it was funny that they all came up with the same buzz phrase.

My favorite new word I heard twice yesterday. It is the word "boffo" and it is what Sarah's speech had better be tonight. It had better be a "boffo" speech. Boffo means extremely successful for those of us who haven't been given the vocabulary memo.

1 comment:

Teacher/Mom said...

I posted on the Sarah Quinn thing too. Nothing the media does surprises me anymore. They pander to the same type of people. I don't want to be like my children and start shouting "That's not fair!" because I always have to respond to them, "Life's not fair - Fairs are only in the summertime." It's a fact that the media will pose a strong bias. That is why when the McCain/Palin ticket completely blows the O(s)ama Bi(n La)den ticket out of the water they will start to call foul and try to come up with some cockamamie reason why it was all rigged and unfair and the minorities were kept from the polls by the cheating republicans and every bad thing that happens every place in the world will become the fault of the conservativs. (Can I make a bigger run-on sentence?)
Blessings.