Thursday, September 04, 2008

Thoughts on a Female VP

Dr. Al Mohler offered these thoughts about the Palin nomination. I find myself in agreement with him. Especially this part. "I believe that women as CEOs in the business world and as officials in government are no affront to Scripture."

I will heartily cast my vote for the McCain-Palin ticket because of my view of the role of the President.

We do not have a king, we have a President, who is just one of us. To suggest that Mrs. Palin's election would somehow place American men in subjection to a woman demonstrates a profound misunderstanding of how our country works. In a sense, all of us rule when you think of it. That, is the amazing thing about America. We are all one small piece of the government. A constitutional republic. Really, a document rules us, not a person.

Here's what Mohler wrote:

Do I believe that a woman can serve well in the office of Vice President of the United States? Yes. As a matter of fact, I believe that a woman could serve well as President -- and one day will. Portraits of significant men of history hang on the walls of my library --but so do portraits of Queen Elizabeth I of England and former British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher.

The New Testament clearly speaks to the complementary roles of men and women in the home and in the church, but not in roles of public responsibility. I believe that women as CEOs in the business world and as officials in government are no affront to Scripture. Then again, that presupposes that women -- and men -- have first fulfilled their responsibilities within the little commonwealth of the family.

Is this kind of public role what most women want? Clearly not, and for that I am honestly thankful. The tasks assigned to women within the home are monumental. The maternal role is crucial, and the vast majority of women find their greatest fulfillment in this role -- and for good reason. In the roles of wives and mothers women do what no one else can do so naturally and so well.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

come on auntie Linda - vote!!! ote for me to cut my hair - Please :-)
Loveyou!