Wednesday, August 01, 2007

The Bridge Blog

Mr. D and I were chatting on the phone about 6:30 tonight when Beth came in with my cell and said it was "Grandma". Grandma NEVER calls me on my cell phone. I knew something was up.

I had missed the call, so kept Terry on the land line and called my mom back. She was checking to see if we had heard the news of the I-35 bridge. We hadn't. Of course, she was also checking to make sure we were all accounted for.

We talked quickly and I immediately called Chris and Nikki. Got Chris first and he said Nikki had just called to check on him. She had tried our house, but the line was busy. Nikki called moments after I got off the phone with Chris.

Mom is 86 and called to check on her daughter. I am 52 and called to check on my grown kids. Children are never far from their parent's thoughts.

I called my niece Sue. She had crossed the bridge between 4:00 and 4:30. I crossed it last week and noted the major work going on. In fact, I was stopped on the bridge for a few minutes a week ago today.

A couple hours later, when I returned home from a quick trip to Lund's, Beth told me that Teres (my only friend on IMDB and a former Bajoran on Star Trek Deep Space Nine) had called. (She's 2 degrees from Kevin Bacon, you know.) Friends in LA who knew she had family in MN informed her of the incident and she called to see if we were okay.

Life is precious. Family and friends are precious.

I got to thinking, how blessed I am that I have people who wanted to know that we were okay.

That's all I got tonight.

No comments: